Today marks the seventh day that some Nigerian school girls were abducted. The missing figure now stands at 190 according to the information made available to BBC by the headteacher which is far more than the official figure.
My question is: Why did the Government give contradicting figure? My guess is to avoid embarrassment. Is this not a serious offence against the people of Nigeria? Disingenuous in nature especially where life is involved!
Asabe Kwambura said the parents of 230 girls had reported them missing but 40 had managed to escape. According to the AP news agency, parents from the school in the town of Chibok told Borno State Governor Kashim Shettima when he visited on Monday that 234 girls had been abducted.
When news first emerged of the kidnap last Tuesday, initial reports said more than 200 students had been seized but state officials soon downgraded the numbers, saying the correct figure was about 130.
- The students were about to sit their final year exam and so are aged 16-18.
- Ms Kwambura told the BBC Hausa service that about 43 had fled their captors.
- “None of these girls were rescued by the military, they managed to escape on their own from their abductors,” she said.
Asked about the conflicting reports on the number of students kidnapped, she said: “Only reports that come from us is the truth and based on the register we have on paper.”
- Where are 190 schoolgirls between the age of 16 and 18?
- Are they eating? Are they having shower?
- Are they doing their hygiene?
- Are they able to see the sunlight?
- Or they are in the dark?
- Are they still in Nigeria or have been transported across the border to Mali enroute Somalia?
- Is there no West Africa Joint Police Service exchanging intelligence?
What is ECOWAS in ECOWAS? It is becoming more and more troubling by days.
Additional input from BBC/NEWS
Written by Dele Olawole. Founder/Coordinator at Nigerians United Against Corruption